It is not commonly known that acupuncture is an effective treatment for increasing fertility and regulating menstruation.
Women often ask me about how acupuncture could help them to get pregnant. So here is a brief overview of how acupuncture benefits fertility in women.
- Regulates fertility hormones, which means:
- more regular menstrual cycles
- more regular ovulation
- better follicular development
- better uterine lining
- Increases blood flow to the ovaries and to the uterus, which:
- improves the quality of eggs
- improves the thickness of the endometrial lining
- increases the chances of embryo implantation.
- Counteracts the effects of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) – PCOS is one of the most common causes of female infertility. By reducing sympathetic nerve activity and balancing hormone levels, acupuncture has been shown to reduce the number of ovarian cysts, stimulate ovulation, enhance blastocyst implantation and regulate the menstrual cycle in women with PCOS.
- Acupuncture also works on an emotional/spirit level, so can help reduce the stress and anxiety that can come with trying to get pregnant, which in turn will lead to increased chances of successful pregnancies.
Acupuncture is also a useful adjunct to IVF treatment and is recommended by many private IVF clinics as it improves success rates.
I also give dietary advice as this can often be a factor in fertility. We can suggest foods which build blood or reduce blocks such as Cold or Damp, based on our diagnosis of the individual.
And finally don’t forget male health is a vital role in fertility – so it’s important that both partners are in good health. Acupuncture can help increase sperm health too.
This is a great simple video that explains how acupuncture can help
Do get in touch with me if you would like to know more.
Eleanor Breen Acupuncture, Bristol